Thursday, February 16, 2012

haleymath

Well I have done it: something I said I would never do. I have signed up for a Twitter account.

First of all Dislikes:
I do not like the way that when you set up an account it makes you follow people. I understand why they do that, so that you can understand how it works, and to get you started. But I did not like the way that you couldn’t continue with the application until you had picked 5 famous people to follow. It seemed useless. I ended up going in after and “un-following” them.

I also do not like the way that just anyone can follow you. A teacher at my school warned me that people will try to follow you mostly just to advertise something they are offering, no matter if you share that interest or not. So I have made my account a little more private and I have to accept all my followers. Perhaps this goes against the whole idea of what Twitter is: to share not only what you are doing, but also sharing links and ideas, to the world. But something about me just shies away from opening my profile completely to just everyone!

But despite the above I do like the way that you can change your tag at any time (if it is available). At the moment I have chosen haleymath (pretty self-explanatory I think….my name is Haley, and I teach – and love – Math). I have put on a picture of my Mii to make it slightly personal. I am not sure if I will change my tag at some point, to give myself more anonymity perhaps, but for the moment I am happy with it as it is. So I now have a Twitter account. Feel free to follow me……well if I allow you that is.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your points about Twitter. I don't like how just anyone can follow you on it. In this way, people target you to advertise products to you. If you get an interaction from Truex Ashbury with this address: http://c4gn.co.cc/cre, don't open it! I am now getting message from them on "earning money at home".

    I know in Facebook, you can restrict who can see your profile and you have to accept people as "friends". This is one aspect of Twitter I do not like at all!

    I do like the frequent updates on things that are of interest to me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I selected a box on twitter so now no one can follow me unless I allow them. It may go against the "twitter idea" but it does keep the spammers away.

      Delete