Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Surface Area & Glogster

I have created a Glogster on Surface Area. I am going to post it to my Moodle site as a revision tool. But I am also going to have my grade 10 classes create their own glogs to illustrate a Math topic. We are just getting into surface area now, so I won't be able to assign the project until after spring break. I hope I can get some examples up here before the 28th. But I am excited to see what the kids come up with, they always surprise me with their projects.

My Surface Area Glog


I really like Glogster, it is easy to use, and according to Berger and Trexler in Choosing Web 2.0 Tools for Learning and Teaching in a Digital World (2010) it "is fun, imaginative, creative, and it is a very motivating learning experience for students." They also point out that a Glog can be a great way to illustrate the "Express" phase in the Stripling Inquiry Model.

Glogster has made an impact all over the world. In an article from Austraila Jann Carroll discusses using Glogster to teach poetry to boys. The article, Boys, Ballads and Glogster: Techno-poetry in Year 7 published in Literacy Learning: The Middle Years (Vol. 20, Issue. 1, January 2012) highlights how Glogster was used in a year 7 English class full of adolescent boys to teach poetry. Glogster EDU (Educational Glogster) was used and Carroll discusses their findings. "We found the benefits to include security, easy teacher control over all the students’ online activities in Glogster, the creation of individual student portfolios, easy to mark assessments and provision of timely feedback. From the students’ point of view we discovered high engagement, interactive, imaginative and creative expression;positive peer relationships as boys helped and mentored each other and motivated learners who were able to express themselves and their choice of ballad in a multisensory way."

I look forward to using this in more lessons, and review sessions, and anticipate some amazing projects from my students. Has anyone else used this program in their class?

1 comment: